Following my husband's death in 2008, I moved from Tennessee to Florida to look after my parents. Now I'm living in a retirement community, making friends and trying new things. The most fun I've had has been ballroom dancing. So far, I've taken intro lessons in all the dances and now I'm starting intermediate. I hardly have time to read anymore but I manage four or five dances a week!

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Complaint Against Dr. Mackler Denied

I filed a complaint against a Dr. Donald Mackler who treated Bill during his last days but the Tennessee Department of Health Office of Investigations determined "that this practitioner did not violate the statutes or rules governing the practice of medicine in Tennessee. Therefore, the complaint has been closed." Since I can't get any satisfaction by legal means, I'll just publish the story here and pray the word gets around. The man has no ethics or morality. But I'll leave it to readers to decide.

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2008
My husband, Bill, went to the ER at 1:30pm and was immediately taken to an ER room. They put him on oxygen and began monitoring his vitals. Within an hour his oxygen level began dropping. He was scheduled for a panendoscopy the following morning. They ordered a CT scan and a chest X-ray. The X-ray revealed that he had pneumonia. He was still scheduled for the panendoscopy and was admitted to the hospital under the care of Dr. Mackler who would perform the test the next day.

We finally got to a room (203) on the cardiac care floor by midnight wherein he was awakened often for one test or another.

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 29
Bill was much weaker. I think he was put on antibiotics here, not really sure. We went down for the panendoscopy at 11:00am and first spoke with the anesthesiologist. He determined Bill was not in good enough shape for him to anesthetize. Then Dr. Mackler came in. He talked for at least ½ hour, shocked that Bill had been scheduled for the procedure at all. He also regaled us with numerous stories of his accomplishments.

Bill was sent back to room 203.

His oxygen level concerned everyone so he was put on the mask that covers the nose and mouth. I think we met Dr. Adams then. He said he’d been asked to oversee Bill’s case.

Another night filled with interruptions and no rest.

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 30
One doctor after another came in, checked his heart, listened to his lungs and left. We asked Dr. Adams if we could have a quiet night and he told us about silence protocol. It helped.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 31
Bill was moved to PCU because his condition was getting worse. He was put on one of those masks that forces air into the lungs. Knowing that we were not going to be needing Dr. Mackler’s services, I requested Dr. Adams take over as primary physician.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 1
Dr. Pesche came in to see Bill and recommended intubation. Bill refused and requested that he be allowed to go home under hospice care. Dr. Pesch made sure Bill understood what he was asking and then agreed.

Dr. Zhang, who had been assigned to Bill when he was admitted although we had never seen him before, came in asking if Bill knew the Lord. Then, making sure Bill understood the situation, he approved the move under hospice care.

Dr. Adams came in and also verified that this was Bill’s choice and when satisfied, agreed it was probably best.

THEN DR. MACKLER SHOWED UP. He tried to tell Bill he’s giving up too soon. He, Dr. Mackler, has never lost a patient, just give him a chance and he’ll fix everything, or something to that effect. When we finally convinced him that Bill knew what he was doing, Dr. Mackler commented to me that since I’d be without a man now, would I be interested in a man like him. I looked at him in disbelief and said no. He then proceeded to try and talk me into it. I again told him forcefully, no. Bill’s nurse, Meg, was standing in the doorway of the room while he did this. I moved to the other side of Bill’s bed to put some distance between us. Did he stop there? No. He decided to tell a dirty joke about not finding a certain part of his anatomy because his belly hung over so far. I told him that was completely inappropriate. Later he came in and apologized FOR TRYING TO TALK BILL OUT OF GOING HOME. I don’t think he realized that his sexist talk was offensive.

We got Bill home at 6:00pm under hospice care.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2
Bill died at noon. He was asleep and surrounded by his loved ones. It was a peaceful passing.

Are there no ethical rules of conduct for medical practitioners in Tennessee? Is propositioning a dying man's wife in front of him acceptable behavior? I'm so angry I could scream. I wish there was a way to publicize this in the Chattanooga area but I wouldn't know where to start.

No comments: