Following my husband's death in 2008, I moved from Tennessee to Florida to look after my parents. Now I'm living in a retirement community, making friends and trying new things. The most fun I've had has been ballroom dancing. So far, I've taken intro lessons in all the dances and now I'm starting intermediate. I hardly have time to read anymore but I manage four or five dances a week!

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Another Old Friend

The day after my visit with Dale, another old friend came down to Florida.  Two friends, actually ... well, one was a friend the other was my "Sifu" when I was taking kung fu in Virginia.  Can't really call him my friend.  In fact, it was strange calling him David.  He was always "Sifu".   Always.  With respect and a bow.

David and Zan had come down to Crystal River to dive for a few days so Dennis and I drove over to have dinner with them.  They were celebrating their 25th anniversary during this trip.  I haven't seen them since I left Virginia to move to Albuquerque in '83 or '84.  Although we've kept in touch every Christmas, it was delightful seeing them again.  David is now a "Master" although he isn't teaching as much as he used to.  Zan quit kung fu just short of her black sash, right around the time they got married.

We had a little trouble finding the hotel even though I had googled the location and printed out the directions.  Den had his iPhone map out and insisted we turn left on route 19.  We kept driving and driving and finally he had to acknowledge that perhaps we were going the wrong way.  LOL  It's apparently the first time his iPhone map has steered him wrong.  If my google directions had been wrong I wouldn't have been surprised because it has taken me to the wrong location on numerous occasions but this time it was right.  *sigh*

Poor Zan was a little stiff because the dive site had a lot of stairs and they had to walk them wearing all their gear.  Every time we came to a few steps she'd say, "Oh look, Zan, steps."  Then we'd all laugh.  Den kept us entertained during dinner with one funny story after another, then we ended up in a round robin of joke telling (except for me, of course).  The food at Charlie's was excellent.  All in all, the evening was wonderful.

No comments: