Following my husband's death in 2008, I moved from Tennessee to Florida to look after my parents. Now I'm living in a retirement community, making friends and trying new things. The most fun I've had has been ballroom dancing. So far, I've taken intro lessons in all the dances and now I'm starting intermediate. I hardly have time to read anymore but I manage four or five dances a week!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

January Trips

Total Wall booth
The week of January 17 was really busy.  There was a trade show in Orlando where Den's company, Total Wall, had a booth.  It was hosted by Sherwin Williams in the Dolphin Hotel at Disney World.  He travelled down there and back a couple of nights a week for dinner meetings before the show began and then stayed for one night.  I went with him on Monday night for the quick drive down and back.  Tuesday night it was all business, so I didn't go.

Me, Den, Vinnie, Mike
I decided to join him on Thursday night and figured since I was going to be right there at Epcot, I might as well have some fun.  So a girlfriend and I drove down early Thursday and spent the day at Epcot.  I've always loved those big drums and the Japanese section had a drumming group.  Luckily we were just in time to see them.  It was a very interesting but tiring.  Then she drove back to Ocala while I stayed with Den.

Japanese Drummers at Epcot
We went to dinner with all the salesmen but something in the air really aggravated my sinuses and we had to retire for the evening.  I just couldn't stop sneezing.  The next day I helped at the booth, asking if anyone had questions and then snagging a salesman for them.  I certainly couldn't answer any questions.  *grin*

The worst part of the trip was at the end.  Vinnie had supervised the unloading of the Total Wall booth but he forgot to take pictures so the parts could be packed correctly.  The salesmen had to pack everything up to be shipped back to Wisconsin and no one had any idea how they fit together in the styrofoam forms.  It got very uncomfortable with tempers rising so I just left.  I know it was rude not to say goodbye but I was afraid I was going to say the wrong thing to someone.

We got home at last but it was very late that night.  The trip was complicated by the entrance ramps to the Turnpike being blocked and we had to find another way.  Luckily Den has spent a lot of time in Orlando so he knew how to find another access ramp.  I was quite impressed by his cool control throughout this stressful day.

Den & Neal
The next morning we were off to Daytona Beach where his senior men's tennis team was in the State finals.  Den and Neal won their matches but the team came in second.  Although the team won more matches it apparently came down to who won more sets.  I don't understand it, but that's how it shook out.  We still had fun, even though it was freezing cold and windy.  I was very proud of Den.

No comments: