Following my husband's death in 2008, I moved from Tennessee to Florida to look after my parents. Now I'm living in a retirement community, making friends and trying new things. The most fun I've had has been ballroom dancing. So far, I've taken intro lessons in all the dances and now I'm starting intermediate. I hardly have time to read anymore but I manage four or five dances a week!

Saturday, February 7, 2009

It's Been Three Months

Bill died three months ago and my how life has changed.

Moving to Florida on short notice sure kept me busy between mid November and mid December. Sorting through all the things in the house, deciding what to take with me, what to sell and what to give away. I also had to get renter's insurance for my place in Florida and discovered that USAA would not do it. *sigh*

Once I was settled in Florida, we discovered that my mother's foot (which had been hurting for over a month) was truly broken.

So my life, for five weeks revolved around dog walking. I had gotten used to getting up whenever I woke up, in Tennessee. Not any longer. Mom was on a routine so Lacey, her Shih Tsu, had to be walked at 7:30 am and 4:30 pm. Sandy and Liz get worked in between. Since there is no yard, the only exercise they get is when I take them for a walk. So we went out at 0 dark 30 and to walk for 1.2 miles. You bet I measured it! Got to take a flashlight to find the poop and clean it up (a requirement in this community) and I wear a flashing light so I can be seen by drivers. I've gotten to where I really enjoy the long walks. At least I did before the mornings were 20 degrees and windy. For the past week or so I've actually waited until sunrise before dressing in long johns, woolly mitten, earmuffs and fleece hat.

In the afternoons, I take the dogs to Mom's, have a cup of tea, visit a while and then we feed them all together. I walk Lacey and then come back for Sandy and Liz when we do another 1.2 miles.

I just started reading a book on grief and it emphasizes that we must force ourselves to get out and walk, for the exercise. I've had to do it and I'm glad. Plus I've lost a little weight - a VERY good thing.

Every day I'll notice something that I tell Bill about. Yes, I do. I talk to him. Not long conversations, but just a mention like, "You would have enjoyed that". Sort of like my conversations with God. Hmmm.


Lori said...

I'm glad you're settling in, Linda (although the 20 degree mornings would give me pause).

And I'm glad you're still feeling your connection to Bill and talking to him. I love that.

I hope your mom's foot is beginning to heal up.

Linda said...

Mom's foot is getting better, thanks. Thankfully she's able to walk Lacey in the mornings now. I think she's going to ditch the boot this week sometime.

The weather has finally returned to Florida weather - 70's in the day, 50's at night. Thank goodness.