Following my husband's death in 2008, I moved from Tennessee to Florida to look after my parents. Now I'm living in a retirement community, making friends and trying new things. The most fun I've had has been ballroom dancing. So far, I've taken intro lessons in all the dances and now I'm starting intermediate. I hardly have time to read anymore but I manage four or five dances a week!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Remodeling the Lanai

It's not as though I don't have enough room in my house (har har) but I decided to convert the lanai to a fully air conditioned room. Also, my Mom wanted a "project." So, I'm happy to oblige. She's the reason I moved to Florida, after all. These are my "before" pictures.

The lanai was at the back of the house and had a doggy door that gave the pups easy access to the tiny fenced backyard (see left). There was a French door leading to the spare bedroom (see right).

The outside wall was aluminum with vinyl windows and screens permanently fixed on the outside. The problem with the permanent screens was the male squirrels liked to hang on the screens and spray the vinyl. Because of the vertical blinds I couldn't clean the windows. Just squirting water on them didn't cut the squirrel spray. Yuck. Disgusting.

The roof was aluminum which was lovely during a rain but it was leaking, somewhere, and I had to lay down towels every time it rained. The floor was concrete and the area didn't have a vent for A/C or heat. In spite of this, it has become my favorite place to sit. I bought a porch swing that can convert to a flat surface and could be an extra bed, if I really needed it. It's really great for naps ... and I do love afternoon naps.

No comments: