Following my husband's death in 2008, I moved from Tennessee to Florida to look after my parents. Now I'm living in a retirement community, making friends and trying new things. The most fun I've had has been ballroom dancing. So far, I've taken intro lessons in all the dances and now I'm starting intermediate. I hardly have time to read anymore but I manage four or five dances a week!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Remodeling Week One

I contracted with COA, Inc. They are the division of On Top of the World that does remodeling as opposed to new construction. Robert Colen (part of the Colen family that owns OTOW) has been my contact. He has been everything helpful and very accommodating. My main supervisor is Troy but Jerritt, who is the backup supervisor, is usually here at the same time. They, too, have been generous with information and keeping me up to date with what comes next.

On February 22 construction began when they removed the roof and the aluminum & vinyl walls. Wow, I loved all the sunlight ... until it rained. Water seeped into the spare bedroom which was carpeted. Argh! I had to call Troy to come out and lay down some foam at the French doors to the spare bedroom and the door to the den to stop the water from coming in any further. Poor guy - it was cold and raining.

February 23rd, they removed the old concrete and poured a new slab extending it out four feet from the wall (or where the wall would be). When it finally stopped raining, the roofing company put up the new trusses and roofing felt on the 26th.

And then it rained again but at least the water wasn't coming close to the doorways. Good test for potential leaks. Actually, there have been a lot of opportunities to test for leaks since the construction has begun. *sigh*

No comments: