Following my husband's death in 2008, I moved from Tennessee to Florida to look after my parents. Now I'm living in a retirement community, making friends and trying new things. The most fun I've had has been ballroom dancing. So far, I've taken intro lessons in all the dances and now I'm starting intermediate. I hardly have time to read anymore but I manage four or five dances a week!

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Birthday Party

Dennis turned 62 on Thursday, so I hosted a party for him.  I've been in this house for 2-1/2 years and it's the first party I've had.  The living room is particularly large and I've always thought it would be good for dancing.  Finally I found out I was right.

Dennis blowing out the candles
I had the food catered by Genesis Heaven and Health in Ocala.  Mark & Rene Ramirez specialize in organic, healthy food and smoothies.  The restaurant on Broadway is just a hole in the wall but it's a little treasure.  The cake was from Betty Cakes in Your Heart's Desire on Silver Springs Blvd.  It was all delicious.
Eileen and Norma

Uncle Henry, Richard, Dennis J, Rudy and Henry H.


Pat and Mary
There were about 20 people and it was just a bit crowded since my kitchen isn't that large.  But that's where the food was and so that's where everyone congregated.  LOL

 After most of the food was gone we moved into the living room for dancing.  What fun that was.  I was truly amazed that we could get five couples following line of dance for waltz and fox trot in my living room!
Merle and Dennis, I'm sitting




Den danced with most of the ladies there.  Here he's doing an East Coast Swing with Merle.  Which reminds me ... the police came to the door during the party.  It appears that Merle parked her SUV where she was blocking someone's driveway and instead of coming to me, they called the police!  I thought it was kind of funny, actually.

Dennis and I dancing

I did get a few dances in with Dennis, but honestly my feet were killing me by the time the group had moved to the living room.  My dance shoes aren't made for standing around.  


Oh and Mom came.  A few of the folks from OTOW remembered her from when she and Dad took dance lessons from Trish.  (Not that they needed lessons; they've always danced together and did it effortlessly and gracefully.)  It was great that they were able to reconnect.  And she looked great, I thought.

So Dennis had a fun birthday party and I got to see how well dancing fit in my living room.  I am now more willing to have more dance parties in the future.  It was delightful!

No comments: